Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new topic/top ten list and invite everyone to share their own answers. I'm so obsessed with lists - so it makes perfect sense that I'd love this feature!
This week is a freebie edition, which means I get to list anything I want! While brainstorming what I wanted to write about, I decided to stray from being bookish this week. In addition to loving to read, I also love watching TV. I often get addicted to a show after at least a season or two has already aired and end up binge watching every available episode. And that usually means I have no desire to read or blog (as is the case in my most recent TV addiction). What qualifies the following shows to make my obsession list? I own every season of them on DVD. So, let's proceed:
Ten Fourteen TV Show Obsessions
[No Longer Airing]
1. Alias (2001 - 2006) - Agent Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) actually made this show my first and longest-lasting TV show obsession. A friend introduced me to the series while I was in high school, and I believe they were already on the third season at that point in time. I'll tell you what - this show is the ultimate binge-watch because each episode (in the first few seasons) ends on a cliffhanger. You literally can't turn off the TV! And those season finales? HOLY SHOCKERS! I loved so many things about this show - the relationships, the spying, the surprises, the costumes. I think it got a little off track when it focuses on the Rambaldi stuff, but this is still one of my favorites.
2. Felicity (1998 - 2002) - I didn't start watching this show until college, long after it had gone off air. And yes, it's melodramatic and Felicity has her batshit crazy moments. Despite it all, I still loved sitting down and popping in a disc of this show. I was 100% Team Ben! In some ways, Felicity prepared me for love triangles because this show definitely loved the good tug-of-war between these two leading men. I think part of my love for this show was because I watched Felicity go through college while I was in college. Not because we had similar experiences - just because it adds a touch of nostalgia when I rewatch it now.
3. Friends (1994 - 2004) - You're going to judge me when I tell you that I didn't watch Friends until a few years ago. I never watched it while it was on TV because it ended the year I started high school (and I'm pretty sure I and/or my parents considered it too adult at the time). Of course, reruns still played all the time on TV, but I never managed to catch that many until college. After realizing that I was always watching reruns, I scored all 10 seasons for a great deal on eBay. And then proceeded to spend every single day that summer watching Friends. I honestly can't even begin to tell you how much I love this show, so I won't even try. It's definitely a show I return to again and again!
4. Friday Night Lights (2006 - 2011) - Twitter and the book blogging world convinced me to watch this amazingness. After a few trial episodes, I went all in and bought the complete series DVD set. And boy was it worth it! The characters really and truly are the heart of this show - you'll root for them, laugh with/at them, cry with them, shake your fist at them! I don't like football, so I thought there was no way I'd like a show about football. Let me just tell you, it's so much more than that. Football is just the backdrop - the characters are what take center stage! (PS - Tim Riggins, I love you.)
5. Gilmore Girls (2000 - 2007) - Good ole Stars Hollow! I remember a friend in middle school telling me about this show, but I was so not interested at the time. Fast forward a few years, and I was buying/asking for these every chance I got. From the amazing mother/daughter relationship to the crazy townies, Stars Hollow has perfected the art of zany characters. Throw in a bazillion pop culture references and lots of fast talking, and you've got yourself a winner. This show just had so much heart!
6. Gossip Girl (2007 - 2012) - This show started right when I was beginning college, and I remember thinking it seemed so scandalous. While it's the most completely unbelievable world, I still couldn't help getting addicted. The clothes, the drama, the gossip... I loved tuning in each week and did NOT want to miss it! I was so sad when it went downhill at the end, but I still loyally tuned in and stuck it out. I had to see how it all ended. Now that it's over, I still watch it now and again to see my favorite Upper East Siders making mostly dumb decisions. I just can't help myself!
7. The O.C. (2003 - 2007) - This was on while I was in high school, but I didn't watch it then. This was another binge watch for me while I was in college! I borrowed the first season from a friend, and then I was hooked. I actually remember watching it on my laptop during my Statistics class. Sorry I'm not sorry. Like Gossip Girl, it definitely floundered a bit at times but there was still so much awesome in there, too. Namely, Seth + Summer.
8. Veronica Mars (2004 - 2007) - This was another show that I watched because of Twitter and book bloggers. They've clearly never steered me wrong! Like a modern Nancy Drew (but darker, smarter and funnier), Veronica Mars was such a joy to watch. Is there anything better than a teenage sleuth? The final episode was a heartbreaker - so many loose ends and unresolved feelings. That's why I'm so pumped about the upcoming movie. Gotta love the power of the Internet + fandoms!
[Currently On Air]
9. Downton Abbey (2010 - Present) - I remember tuning in to PBS for this first episode of this show and making it about 30 or 40 minutes before I just changed the channel. I love a good costume drama (see also my love for historical fiction), but this one just wasn't holding my attention at first. After the first season ended, I started hearing about this show everywhere I turned. I decided to give it another chance, and now holy cow I love the Granthams! I just there were more episodes each season and that Julian Fellowes would stop tearing my heart into pieces (aka people would stop wanting off the show).
10. Grey's Anatomy (2005 - Present) - Why yes, I am someone that still watches Grey's Anatomy. And I totally discuss it with my coworkers the next day. As with most of the shows I mentioned, I caught up on this one when I was in the fourth season (I think). And it's been a journey ever since. I just can't stop watching this medical drama! While there have been characters and plotlines I found completely ridiculous, I'm still tuning in every week to see the crazy medical cases and the relationship drama. I can't help it - there are all just so damn good looking.
11. Hart of Dixie (2011 - Present) - I originally tuned in because of Rachel Bilson and almost tuned out because it's quite over-the-top and cheesy at times. I feel like the show is finally hitting it's stride, and I just can't quit it. Does it still have it's eye roll moments? Certainly. But I'm still dying to see what happens in Bluebell each week and who Dr. Hart chooses next season. Clearly I'm a sucker for The CW!
12. Nashville (2012 - Present) - After falling love with Connie Britton on Friday Night Lights, I knew I wanted to give this show a try when I saw all the promos for it last year. I love how music is incorporated into the show each week, and I love all the up-and-coming versus established artist drama between Juliette and Rayna. I really loved the first season, and I can't wait to see where it goes next!
13. New Girl (2011 - Present) - I can't think of another show that makes me laugh as hard as this one. I come into work every Wednesday dying to talk about the funniest moments from the night before! This is one of the only shows (in addition to Nashville) that I've watched from the moment it aired. I love how each character is getting their time on screen, and Jess is no longer the focus of every episode. I think that's made it a stronger show because I look forward to every story since I truly love every character!
14. The Vampire Diaries (2009 - Present) - Finally, we are ending with my most recent TV obsession. I think I started watching this because I noticed it on Netflix Instant and thought, "Well, why not?" My husband was out of town, and I was bored. That's the perfect recipe for a new TV show addiction. I started out completely in love with Stefan - and completely unable to turn off the damn TV. I kept thinking, "Just... one... more..." Well, four seasons later and I'm still hooked. But I've changed sides. Sorry, Damon has won me over and I'm SO PUMPED about next season. I have no idea why I didn't watch sooner, but I know I'll be obsessively watching every week (and mad that I can't binge watch anymore). Waiting a week for a new episode (and a whole summer for the new season) is going to be a killer!
So, now that I've overwhelmed you with my list of favorite TV shows, I'm dying to hear your thoughts! Which shows make your list - and which ones have I left off? Also, comment or tweet me if there's a show I should be watching. I'm clearly all set for a summer binge watch!