Buy the Book is a monthly feature where I share a gift guide inspired by something I've read. It's a little play on "by the book" since all of the gifts come directly from quotes or scenes in the book featured and, you know, since it's all stuff you can buy. I'm including a snippet from the book for each item so you'll know why I picked it!
Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
"I've been moving around a bit lately. I went to school in Boston. Then I moved to D.C., then Portland, Oregon. Then Seattle. Then Austin, Texas. Then New York. The city where dreams do come true. Although, you know, not for me. But I did grow up in Los Angeles. So you could say I'm going back to where I came from, but I don't know that I'd call it home."
1. Los Angeles Map Print ($12-20) - Hannah has spent a lot of time looking for the place that feels like home. Returning to her hometown marks a significant moment for her and acts as the catalyst for all that comes next.
"I mean, if you're going to go all over the country looking for where you belong, I could have told
you years ago you belong in front of a cinnamon roll."
2. Cinnamon Roll Stud Earrings ($26.50) - There's no denying Hannah's love for cinnamon rolls! It's true in both stories - proof that she's still herself, even in two different versions of reality - and both guys know about her love.
I started using body lotion somewhere around the time she and I met. We would go to the mall together and smell all the lotions in all the different stores. But every time, I kept buying the same one. Orange Ginger. At one point, I have seven bottles of the stuff stocked up.
3. Orange Ginger Body Lotion ($13) - I loved that Hannah had a signature scent and that it was that was tied to her memories of her best friend, Gabby. Their amazing friendship was one of my favorite parts of the book!
I throw the magazine to the side and turn the TV back on, the volume low. No surprise to find that Law & Order is on. I have yet to find a time when it isn't.
4. Law & Order: The First Year ($17.87) - In one version of her life, Hannah spends a quite a bit of time in front of her TV. This part made me laugh because it's just so true. This show is always on at least one channel.
I look at the piece of paper in front of me. It says "Buy a car." That's the first thing I wrote down. The only thing I wrote down. I quickly scribble "Get a job," and I waver about whether or not to put down "Find an apartment."
5. Papillon Acrylic Charm Keychain ($5.67) - I'm cheating a little bit with this item! Buying a car is the first item on Hannah's list to get her life in order, but she definitely didn't plan for the dog that steals her heart.
"Anything I can get you?" he whispers before he leaves."
I shake my head slightly. "Er, actually . . . maybe a hair tie?" I point to my head. My hair is down around my shoulders. I am lying on it. I hate lying on my hair.
6. Goody Ouchless Hair Elastics ($4.59) - I'm so happy that the model on the book cover has her hair in a bun on the top of her head because that is Hannah's go to look. (PS: This scene made me smile so much.)
"What's your favorite flavor of pudding?" he asks me.
"Probably chocolate," I say. "Or tapioca? And vanilla is good."
"So all of them? You like all flavors of pudding?" he says, teasing me.
7. JELL-O Chocolate Pudding - While it probably seems random, there's a lot of discussion about choices in this book. Hannah is someone who is often unable to make a choice, and I liked that because I can relate.
First things first. Charlemagne needs a collar and a leash if I'm going to get her across town. I walk to Target, which isn't all that far from -----'s place. I have Charlemagne bundled in my arms. I expect someone to stop me here in the store, but no one bats an eyelash.
8. Boots & Barkley Canvas Collar ($5.99) - As I've mentioned, there's an absolutely adorable dog in this book! I fell in love with Charlemagne, and this scene where Hannah carries her into Target was one of my favorites.
"I was reading a book about the cosmos recently," he says, and then he looks around and goes, "Hold on, trust me, this relates. The crowd laughs again. "And I was reading about different theories about the universe. I was really taken with this one theory that states that everything that is possible happens."
9. The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene ($10.35) - I found this concept so fascinating, and it's a moment that led to the most memorable quote in the book for me.
The 1998 movie Sliding Doors (starring Gwyneth Paltrow) takes a similar premise as Maybe in Another Life, and examines how one woman's life differs based on whether or not she catches a train. (From Book Club Extras)
10. Sliding Doors DVD ($4.79) - I almost didn't include this item since it's from an extra section of the book, but I just couldn't resist. The concurrent storylines made this such a unique read, and now I need to watch this movie!