Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new topic and invite everyone to share their answers. I'm so obsessed with lists - so I obviously love this feature!
Top Ten Auto-Buy Authors
I spent quite a bit of time debating what authors to put on this list. There really aren't that many authors who I would consider auto-buys - and it's a status that can change with just one book. I looked back at my list from 2013 and realized that many of the authors that I considered auto-buys at the time have since lost that status. Whether it's my changing taste or a negative experience with a more recent book, only two from that list appears on my list today. And of those two, I'd say only one is a legitimate "I'll literally buy anything you write" and that's Melina Marchetta. But let's talk about all ten that I currently consider auto-buys!
1. Jane Austen - You might be wondering why Jane Austen made my list, since she's not going to be publishing any more books. But if they published a lost Austen manuscript, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And I can't deny that I'll buy almost anything associated with her, so that's practically an extension of the auto-buy status.
2. Mindy Kaling - Kaling didn't come to my mind immediately, but I couldn't deny her spot on this list once I thought of her! I adored her first series of essays, and I've already pre-ordered her second book. I love pretty much everything about her, and I seriously wish we were friends. No matter what she writes, I want to read it.
3. Emery Lord - I've fallen in love with Lord's writing during the last two years, and I think she's going a bright future ahead of her. It feels like she writes about people I know (or sometimes wish that I did). I don't just enjoy her books - I relate to them! She writes with such honesty, and I love the emotion in them.
4. Sarah J. Maas - In my review for Heir of Fire, I wrote: "There is a land called Perfection, and Sarah J. Maas is its Queen." And I stand by those words! I'm currently re-reading the Throne of Glass series (in preparation for Queen of Shadows, of course) and am falling more and more in love with Maas' characters and creativity.
5. Melina Marchetta - When I think of auto-buy authors, Melina Marchetta tops my list. I adore her contemporary and fantasy, and I have no doubt that she'd make me fall in love with anything else she wrote. There's meaning and intention behind her every word, and I admire that she writes with so much purpose.
6. Juliet Marillier - I almost didn't include Marillier since I still haven't bought (or read) a number of her books, but I decided it counts because I purchased the majority of her backlist after finishing Daughter of the Forest. I'm slowly working my way through them, but only because I want to savor the experience. It's worth it!
7. Mhairi McFarlane - I read my first McFarlane book last year, but I didn't truly fall in love with her writing until I binge read her other two books a few months ago. They were exactly what I needed in the middle of a reading funk, and I only wish there were more for me to devour. I love her sense of humor!
8. Liza Palmer - Nowhere but Home was my first read from Palmer, and it's remained my favorite. But I've loved everything else I've read by her since - and I know I'll love the two I'm hoarding solely because I hate the idea of having no more books by Liza to look forward to! I can't get enough of her characters and her writing.
9. Stephanie Perkins - Perkins is the second author that's remained an auto-buy since I wrote this list two years ago. She's released one full-length book since (which I loved), as well as a collection of short stories from YA authors (her contribution was my favorite). I don't know what's next for her, but I can't wait to find out!
10. Taylor Jenkins Reid - I'm so glad that Estelle's recommendation led me to this author last year! Her second book, After I Do, is one of my all-time favorite books, and it was the kind of reading experience I'll never forget. But I loved her first release - and her most recent one - too! If only there were more...
Are any of these authors on your auto-buy list?